Thursday, January 19, 2006

"buddy's" view on Ryan Smyth


The problem is that it HAS happened. A lot of people have said relevant things here, but you haven't been interested in giving any meaningful replies.But let's try again, and I really hope you're willing to read this, because this time I'm really taking time to respond:First, you've emphasized that this isn't about comparing Smyth with Ovechkin (or Crosby). I've re-read your entry a few times, and for the most part I STILL have trouble interpreting it as a commentary on Smyth's decline rather than as a comparison of the two players. If nothing else, the sheer number or responses on this entry suggest that your intended point in this entry was unclear. But I don't expect you to concede even that.Nonetheless, to your 'point', i.e. that this is about Smyth, and the fact that he hasn't been effective since he scored 39 goals. I sincerely doubt that ANY NHL coach/gm etc. would say that the 39-goal Smyth is a better player than the 25-30 goal Smyth we've seen in many of the past several seasons. Why? Partly because of this: when he got 39 goals, he was a horrible defensive player and he finished -7. I remember thinking "39 goals but such a bad +/-, what gives? Thing is, 20 of those were on the pp so had no impact on +/- (incidentally his 20 pp goals tied a record held by Gretzky).So really, he's not a 39 goal player. The problem is that his 39 goal season has been imposed by some as an idea of what he should have been since. I'll take the 25-30 goal Smyth who has a defensive conscience. The first 4 years of his career he was a minus player. Since then, he's been a minus player once in 6 seasons (I admit he's -3 as I write this, however). Nonetheless, the point: he's generally a more well-rounded player, and he's a consistent 25-30 goal scorer. When he plays a full season, he's been a LOCK for 25-30 goals (2003-04 was an exception with 23). I'll take that consistency in a second.This says nothing of his 'leadership' qualities. Yeah, we all know he's not the brightest guy in terms of eloquence, but winning so much with various Canadian teams isn't just a fluke. He has an extraordinary work ethic, and is the prototypical 'leading by example' player.Finally, I want to just drag in a couple of other guys you mentioned (while I know you keep saying this is about Smyth, the comparison here is worthwhile). You mentioned a couple other 'real NHL All-Stars', Guerin and Weight. I like them both, and this is not meant to criticize them, but lets consider what they've done lately in terms of points, and for how much:Games Goals Assists Points SalaryGuerin:2003-04 82 34 35 69 $8.8 million2005-06 45 8 16 24 $6.7 millionWeight: 2003-04 75 14 51 65 $8.5 million2005-06 42 10 29 39 $5.7 millionSmyth:2003-04 82 23 36 59 $3.45 million2005-06 40 19 18 37 $3.5millionAgain, don't get me wrong, I like Guerin and Weight (even more), but who is the better deal here?




The reason I post this - is so his relevent views can be heard, and not buried into some deep comments of people who reply to me as "Your dead".
People that have actual comments, I can respect that, and I'm not trying to ignore them. Therefore, I'll let buddy's views on Ryan Smyth take the front stage and I'll post my response reply in the comments section. Only fair.

I apologize for it being one long ass paragraph, but the copy and paste wouldn't allow it another way, and I hope you don't blame me for not wanting to sit and do all the paragraph breaks like a newspaper editor. This isn't buddy's writing style... just a computer thing. His original comments can be read, in normal paragraph style in the deal with Ryan Smyth comment I made earlier.

4 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger RaoulDuke said...

I agree... some people have left relevent comments, but I usually just leave them alone as responses. It is easier to reply to haters than people with genuine comments. For that I apologize.

As for the intended outcome, maybe it only makes sense in my mind, maybe not. The idea was to show how long ago Ryan Smyth was once an "elite" player in the NHL - when Ovechkin was a child. Not a comparison of their stats. I think the confusion comes about when I was saying how Smyth's last "elite" year was when Ovechkin was 9 years old - and now in his first year, he eclipsed Smyth's one elite year... therefore, how elite was it?

The 20 PP goals... Sure, I give him due on that. But there are other players in the NHL that do that exact job of standing in front of the net and letting the skilled players set up for a tip in or goal - Tomas Holmstrom for example.

As for consistency... It's hard to argue he's all that consistent considering his best years were playing beside the Comries, Weights, even Nedveds... his consistency factor depends solely on his linemates. In comparison, Iginla had rotten centres but still put up numbers... but Smyth is more like Leclair who can only perform on a great centre, who was he in MTL? Why did he thrive under Lindros, Roenick and Primeau - and then die in Pittsburgh?

inre: Canadian National Teams - I don't see why this is such a great accomplishment to play consistently in the World Championships. All that means is that his team either missed the playoffs or bowed out early 1st round in the NHL. I'm certain other captains would have been named ahead of him if they didn't just last until April 15-26 in the NHL.

For money standpoint, you're dead right on Guerin and Weight... but this is the new NHL and how many years after they left?

Thanks for your reply buddy. I'm not trying to dodge shit, just dodge the majority of morons. I respect your opinion.

Regards,
Raoul Duke

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger RaoulDuke said...

and the question is, where are all the haters now?

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that people are interested in reading my long-winded reply to your Smyth entry, especially in YOUR blog. Not to mention the fact that it looks like one huge run-on sentence, but that's no big deal, since you added a note about that at the end. But given these things, maybe people will skip by this entry altogether, except me.

I appreciate the response though. I still disagree with a lot your views on Smyth, even those stated here, and I'm sure that neither of us will convince each other otherwise. But you took the time to respond to a lot of points there, which is great - and appreciated.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I still disagree with alot of what you're saying, but it's nice to see you actually giving the valid comments a real response. It's definitely a step in the right direction and I commend you for that Duke. You have officially gained back my respect RD. Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home